Categories
Uncategorized

Commuter Airlines at Long Island MacArthur Airport

Introduction:

Although the airline's operations, with nearly 19 to 50 passengers, have a large number of turboprop aircraft, Long Island MacArthur Airport has scheduled six and a half years of scheduled service history as a regional airline as a whole. , origin and destination and links, lined by major carriers, with two-letter code sharing equipment in many northeastern cities, optimizing sector length, demand, capacity, frequency and cost.

These services can be categorized into "Initial Service", "Airport Airports", "Northeast Suburban Service", "Code-Sharing Hub Feed" and "Recent Journal Manager Operation".

Initial service:

The initial, planned service was completed shortly after the 5,000-square-foot rectangular ground floor of the airport, a city-wide route system, connecting Long Island with Boston, Newark and Washington, and operating in 1959 with Gateway Airlines. de Havilland DH.104 Dove and DH.114 Heron aircraft.

The first, a conventional low-wing monoplane 57 feet long and two Havilland Gipsy Queen 70 Mk 3 six-cylinder, 400 hp air-cooled piston engines, was designed to meet the Brabazon Board type. Post-war mini-war or VB specifications for aircraft, but nonetheless, included several "big aircraft" breakthroughs, including Redux linkage construction, engine and overloaded plants, brake propellers, power edge drag slopes and tricks. railroad. configuration.

Apparently, DH.114 Heron heirs, sitting between 14 and 17 in an 8.6-meter long cab, had 250 hp Gipsy Queen 30 M with four 2-piston engines and a gross weight of 13,500 pounds, which made lifting easier by 71.6 feet. wide. He flew for the first time as a prototype on May 10, 1950.

Expectant and short-lived, Gateway Airlines flights will only last eight months, however, which was an air threshold for Long Island MacArthur's future northeastern aircraft operations.

Area Airport Cancellations:

While Gateway's Newark service paved the way for other similar airline airports, it proved that if Long Island MacArthur could not provide remote service on its own, it could provide the latest connections with other New York airport settings. without.

One such attempt, albeit a slightly longer in duration, occurred with Nitlyn Airways between 1979 and 1980, when their Piper PA-31-350 Navajo Chieftains attempted to fuel TWA flights at JFK.

Aimed at the company's PA-23-250 double-barreled pistol and Aztec rifle, the Navajo was 34.6 feet long and 40.8 feet long. The Lyoming TIGO-541-E1A 425 hp, horizontally opposed engines have a gross weight of 7,800 pounds and a range of 1,285 miles and can be configured for various standard, suburban and business seats. eight were boarded using the door on the left wing of the pole.

Much later in MacArthur's history, the longer-lived and more successful Long Island airport connected Newark International Airport. In this case, the airline was Brit, operating under a Continental Express code sharing agreement, intended to power mainland Continental flights, and the equipment contained a very modern ATR-42-300.

This design, which will be usurped by a more advanced turboprop by 2020, is one of the region's two leading companies.

Following the latest trend in intra-European cooperation, Aerospace Aerospace companies in France and Italy have chosen to operate on a regional airline that combines their AS-35 and AIT-230 proposals.

The ATR-42 was designed with French letters "Avions de Transport Regional" and "Aerei di Transporto Regionale" and a number reflecting the average seat capacity (high wing, twin, turbohropic, not quite tail). The main undercarriage portrayed the fuselage under the fuselage when the first engine powered by Pratt and Whitney Canada PW120 1,800 shp flew as the ATR-42-200 on August 16, 1984. The production version, ATR-42-300, has upgraded 2,000 shp power plants.

With the modern design of the aircraft, there were four occupants: a central aisle, surface compartments, a flat roof, a leak and a toilet.

He issued a French and Italian flight certificate in September 1985 after completing his final assembly in Toulouse, France, four months later with scheduled service on 9 December with Air Littoral. At a maximum weight of 37,300 pounds, it had a speed of 265 knots on a 25,000-foot service ceiling.

Northeast Suburban Service:

Although Gateway Airlines was the first to provide airport shuttle service at Islip Airport, many carriers continued for the next few decades, this time replacing the original rectangle from the passenger terminal oval.

One of the first was Pilgrim Airlines, which had two nonstop flights to Albany, another to Groton / New London, two to New Haven, and one to Washington, National, mainly with Canadian Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter. .

The rugged simplicity of its predecessor, incorporating a single DHC-3 Otter engine, designed for frequent unpaired remote operations, retained its basic wing configuration and many wing and fuselage components. power plants. Increasing 51.9 feet in length to facilitate the installation of 20 separate aisles, 65 feet wide with dual-cornered slopes and redesigned nose and tail, which Otter still has to fix; undercarriage and ability to take off and take off (STOL).

Powered by 652hp Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-27 engines, the first flew on May 20, 1965. Its three versions included the DHC-6-200 for a longer nose for larger luggage space and the DHC-6-300, with a top speed of 210 mph and 12,500 pounds of gross weight.

With the exception of the Fokker F.27 Friendship, DHC-6 became a Twin Otter Pilgrimage Plant, a 20-minute jump from Long Island Sound to Islip to New Haven. On December 1, 1985, on the cover of his system schedule, he announced "New non-stop to Washington and New Haven."

The Connecticut NewAir competition, initially named New Haven Airways, offered the same service. Based at Tweed New Haven Airport, it advertised as a "Connecting Company of Connecticut," but used the same low-size southbound Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante suburban aircraft.

Named as Brazilians who explored and colonized the western part of the country for a century, with a conventional design, two three-bladed turbans and three retractable railroads, they accommodated between 15 and 18 passengers. It was the first South American commercial aircraft to be ordered by European and US carriers.

Originally powered by sports passenger circular windows and PT6A-20 engines, it had three prototype certification programs. Each aircraft, respectively, took to the air on October 28, 1968, October 19, 1969, and June 26, 1970. Although initially named. When the C-95 was ordered to launch by the Brazilian Air Force (60 of this type), the EMB-110 was certified two years later on August 9th.

Powered by PT6A-27 engines, the production aircraft designed square passenger windows, a 50.3-foot-wide wing, forward, left-hand ladder door, and designed nacelles to keep the main underground units completely closed.

Designated EMB-110C and for 15 people. The type service was incorporated with the Transbrasil program on April 16, 1973 and was instrumental in meeting the needs of her and VASP.

The displacement aisle and a six-row, 12,345-pound gross weight three-tier / suburban EMB-110P version, while at the same time a longer EMB-110P2 fuselage, first ordered by French air carrier Air Littoral, were supplied via uprated. Offering 750 shp PT6A-34s and 21 seats.

According to NewAir's September 1, 1983 schedule, it served eight destinations in Baltimore, Islip, New Haven, New London, Newark, New York-La Guardia, Philadelphia and Washington-National. From Long Island MacArthur, he offered two daily departures to Baltimore, two to New Haven and another to New London.

Air service to Rhode Island residents was also provided by National Air based at New Air State Airport. "All flights are operated by 22-passenger CASA C-212-200 aircraft, providing National Air passengers with the convenience of standing people," he announced. "Flight service (drink only) is provided on all flights by flight attendants."

Construcciones Aeronautics SA (CASA) has designed a multi-purpose transport for the Spanish Air Force, a passenger wing porthole-shaped sports car with fixed-wing and dual-engine fixed-wing design, dorsal fin and rear loading ramp. led to an uninterrupted box-like cabin. Civil application was considered from the outset.

As a replacement for the Spanish Air Force's replacement Junkers Ju.52 / 3ms, Douglas DC-3s and CASA 207 Azores, the Garrett AiResearch was powered by two engines of TPE331 776 shp. Two prototypes, first flying on March 26, 1971 and October 23, the example of a previous production, hit the sky on November 17.

In the military scene, he was a paratrooper, air ambulance, shipper, crew trainer and photo surveyor, while his commercial contract, C-212C, accommodates 19 passengers.

C-212-200, overall length 44.9 feet, 62.4 feet wide, Garrett AiResearch TPE331-10-501C engines 900 shp, 219 mph cruise speed, 28,000 feet ceiling service and 16,093 – gross weight 470 with a maximum fuel mileage.

By the end of 1981, 292 civilian and military Aviocars were operating in 27 countries.

From the slip, National Air made three departures from Newport to the east, with Providence and Boston services, and New York-JFK to the west. Philadelphia was the only other destination in his low-career system at the time. Passenger tickets, like NewAir's, were made at the Pilgrim Airlines ticket counter.

Another state served by Islip in England was Vermont, named Air Vermont.

Located in Morrisville and established in 1981, it serves 13 northeastern cities, as of October 1, 1983: Albany, Berlin (New Hampshire), Boston, Burlington, Hartford, Long Island, Nantucket, Newport (Vermont), New York-JFK. , Portland, Washington-National, Wilkes-Barre / Scranton and Worcester. He also used the Pilgrim Airlines facility now.

Its fleet consisted of Piper PA-31-350 Navajo Chieftains and Beech C99s.

The latter, perhaps its "peak," was the development of Queen Air business / executive aircraft, and its capacity was insufficient for suburban routes. In 1965 it provided a stretch of fuselage, which gave it a new 44.7 meters length. It could accommodate up to 15 passengers in a single seat on both sides of the central corridor. He had a door against the stairwell on the left.

Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-27 engines with two engines at 715 shp, but resembling its Queen Air background with its low wing, conventional tail and retractable traction rail, received FAA type approval on May 2, 1968. gross weight and maximum speed of 283 mph, ranged from 530-838 miles, depending on the load-fuel ratio.

It was inaugurated by Commuter Airlines in Chicago. Although the 164 B99 and B99A were produced, the C99 also needed 44 cubic meters of eternal, under-fuselage, additional luggage and other boot luggage standards. The latter marked the resumption of production of this type in 1979, with 715 shp PT6A-36 engines and a maximum speed of 285 knots at 8,000 meters. He made the first one on June 20 of the following year.

National Air provided Newport with three non-stop flights daily with aircraft departing 0935, 1345 and 1850. All continued on to Albany and Burlington.

There were also other carriers, at one and the same time on the MacArthur stage to collect passengers and transport them to their northeastern destinations. Many did not.

Albany-based Mall Airways, such as 1973 to 1989, had 18 destinations in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Virginia, along with cross-border sectors, with Ontario and Quebec in Canada, almost from Islip. although not all. New York State's heavy road concentration touched down with a fleet of Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Elmira, Islip, Ithaca, New York-La Guardia, Rochester, Syracuse and White Plains Piper Navajo Chieftains in the 1990s; B99s, and B1900Cs.

The latter, the extended version of Super King Air (which could carry 13 in its high-density suburban configuration), retained the same low-wing mount and t-tail, but its 25.3-foot-long, 425 cubic-foot cabin. booklet with 19 central corridors. Designed for multi-station roads, it was equipped with two Pratt and Whitney Canada 1,100 shp PT6A-65B engines in-flight and could operate from grass and unprepared fields. His first flight on September 3, 1982, was certified on November 22 of the following year.

Increased B1900D capability, the second 19-seater single-seat British Jet Aerospace Jetstream 31, introduced a larger ceiling, larger interior volume, stronger engines, modified propellers, aircraft, larger tail and electronic flight control system. (EFIS) cabin.

Another Long Island MacArthur operator based in New York State, reflected in his name, was Empire Airlines and initially the B1900C at least resembled equipment, in this case the Swearingen Metro.

Founded by Paul Quackenbush in 1976, the service departed from Utica / Rome Oneida Country Airport, often bypassed by Allegheny Airlines to small cities and eventually touched down in ten states of Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey. New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia, and two provinces in Ontario and Quebec Canada.

Reflecting the Allegheny absorbed Allegheny's existing airway system, the "Empire State" carrier served Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Elmira, Islip, Ithaca, New York-JFK, New York-La Guard, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, White Plains. , and Utica / Roma.

Although the clean owners of the 13 Fokker F.28-4000 Fellowship operated between 1980 and 1986, Metro II formed the focus of the first six turbocharged fleets.

Swearing's Merlin IIIA was a stretch of six to eight passenger executive aircraft that introduced a longer fuselage. He increased the Merlin's 42.2 feet to 22.2 inches, but retained its engines, wing and tail. . Ed Swearingen designed for suburban operations, first flying on June 11, 1970, designated SA-226TC.

Swearingen itself became a subsidiary of Fairchild Industries in November 1971, and the last such meeting was held in San Antonio, Texas.

Air Wisconsin became the first major customer.

The upgraded Metro II, powered by the Garrett AiResearch TPE331-3U-303G 940 shp engine and introduced in 1971, replaced the original passenger windows with squares, measuring 43.3 feet south, 12,500 pounds gross weight and cruising. At 294 mph.

Empire made three daily flights from the Syracus Center with departures 0905, 1525 and 1830 and facilitated connections to Albany, Binghamton, Elmira, Ithaca, Montreal, Rochester and Utica / Rome. According to the April 1, 1985 schedule, "Of the 99 to 99 flights, 85 passengers operate on the Fokker F.28 aircraft. 100 to 999 flights operate on the 19 passenger Swearing Underground II."

When Empire acquired Piedmont Airlines in 1985, its Syracus hub was incorporated with Piedmont (i.e. Baltimore, Charlotte and Dayton).

Northeast carriers often made traces of the Long Island airfield, though fleeting. Late to the scene, Windsor Locks, Connecticut-based Shuttle America, a low-cost Canadian DHC-8-300 operator, opened service between Hartford and Buffalo, but soon touched down in Albany, Boston (Hanscom Field), Greensboro, Islip (as of November 13, 1998) with its half-dozen New York-La Guard, Norfolk, Trenton and Wilmington aircraft.

Boston became the battlefield of independent airlines. One of the biggest carriers to connect with Long Island was Ransome Airlines.

Founded by J. Dawson Ransome in 1967 and based at Northeast Philadelphia Airport. In March, 11 passengers started service with Beechcraft 18s. It has partnered both independently and with major companies for two-letter code sharing feeds, specifically Allegheny Commuter, Delta Connection and finally Pan Am Express. It worked for 28 years.

Two aircraft were deployed in their entirety.

The first of these was the planned development of the Mouss-260 Broussard double engine, initially commissioned on July 29, 1960 and later to be owned by Nord Aviation. pressure round fuselage to allow three for 24 seats. For the first time, the 26 was first designed as a Nord 262, two years later, powered by two Bastan VIB2 turboprops. Only one of three pre-production and production examples is distinguished by its dorsal fin, which was ultimately part of the flight test program.

It was 63.3 feet long, 71 feet long with its high wing and a retractable pickup truck, weighed 23,370 pounds and could cruise at up to 233 mph.

Lake Central Airlines, a US customer with 12 requests, opened this service in May 1965 and flew to Allegheny three years later after acquiring Lake Central. Subsequently, it was managed by the Allegheny Commuter Consortium.

As French power plants further hamper US sales, the Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-45As were fitted with five blades, 1,180 shp, and upgraded systems, and the Mohawk redesigned the M-298, which would regulate its operation to reflect FAR 298 aircraft regulations.

For the first time, he flew on January 7, 1975, joining the Allegheny Commuter two years later, of which he was a Ransome affiliate.

Another major type of fleet, perhaps considered the "grandmother" of the first turbodrome, was the Canadian DHC-7 de Havilland.

According to the overall configuration, the DHC-6 Twin Otter, which was 80.8 feet long; a tall, straight wing, 93 feet long; four 1.16 shp PT6A-50 turboprop engine; large dorsal fin; t-tail; retractable trick; and four lodges for four passengers, in a spacious-looking cabin with a loss and toilet.

Landing and landing operations were aimed at less than 2,000 feet and, in fact, could operate from runway stems at Washington National Airport without the need for a specific landing slot. fast-moving propellers, which bathed the upper surface of aerophiles and eliminated the need for cutting-edge devices. In addition to reducing the level of external and internal noise, it facilitated harsh controlled approaches.

The construction of two prototypes that predated Canada's economic backing began in 1972 and flew three years later on March 27 and June 26. The first production version of Rocky Mountain airways aimed at launching customers was the first in May. 30 of 1977.

Overloaded at 11,350 pounds and over 44,000 pounds, it had a range of 840 to 1,335 miles, the latter with a complete fuel surge.

Ransome was as close as any other airline to establishing a small carrier hub at Long Island MacArthur Airport with 23 uninterrupted weekdays of M-298 and DHC-7-100, three including Baltimore, six Boston, two Hartford, one. To Newark, six to Philadelphia, and five to Providence.

On October 31, 1982, it proclaimed "Relyome Airlines, the most experienced American regional carrier."

Another smaller carrier that provided service to Boston was Precision Airlines. Located at Springfield State Airport (Vermont), the Dornier Do-228-200 was made decades ago.

Very little used on the Do-28D-2 Skyservant, a 12-passenger utility aircraft, it did the same with the high-mounted "TNT Tragfluegels neuer Technologie" or "new technology wing", consisting of a Dornier A-5 airfoil section. tips.

Garrett AiResearch TPE331-5 engine with two 715 shp engines, 54.3 feet long and 55.7 feet long. Turning the main undercarriage back to the underbody rifle, with a gross weight of 12,570 pounds, a maximum cruise speed of 268 mph at 10,000 feet, and a full load of 715 miles.

Its two versions, Do-228-100 15 passengers and Do-228-200 19 passengers, respectively, flew on March 28, 1981 and May 9, 1981.

According to Precision's November 15, 1983 schedule, it offered three non-stop daily trips to Philadelphia and three to Islip from Boston, the second to Manchester, New Hampshire.

Another Boston service provider was Business Express Airlines.

Atlantic Air was founded in 1982, but emphasizing that, after changing its business system to its own name, it acquired several independent carriers, Islip, as well as Pilgrim Airlines in 1986 (which had already acquired NewAir); Mall Airways in 1989, which introduced Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa to Canadian cities; and Brockway Air, also in 1989, which supplied the fleet of B1900Cs and Saab 340s. The latter became his MacArthur (and Northeast) plant.

Being the first US-European partnership design, it was jointly produced by Fairchild Corporation's subsidiaries, which already have aircraft experience, and Swedish manufacturer Saab AB, which has not traditionally focused on the military, such as JAS. 39 Gripen mufti role combat role.

Focusing on a commercial application for the first time, Saab designed a turbine for 30 passengers. The scope of the project, which would be Sweden's largest industrial hub, sought a risk-sharing partner. Thus, he appeared as Fairchild. The wings would create the engine cores and the tail, while Saab himself would manufacture the fuselage and fins, accounting for 75% of the program's development, system integration and certification aspects.

Named SF-340 ("Saab-Fairchild"), the result of the aircraft, aerodynamically clean low-plane monoplane and wide single-sided aircraft and large single-slot slopes, 1,879 shp General Electric CT79B engine, and a retractable traction rail, accommodated 34 passengers with 30-inch seats. with a displacement aisle on the pitch, stored solutions, a loss, a toilet, and a left-hand forward staircase.

The aircraft was 64.9 meters long and 70.4 meters long, with the aircraft carrying a weight of 7,500 pounds and a maximum weight of 29,000 pounds. The initial fuel consumption per block hour was 1,015 pounds out of 5,690 pounds.

The Saab 340 was redesigned after Fairchild withdrew the program, building 40 airlines, and became Saab's only manufacturer.

The Saab 340B, with the success of the base 340A, introduced stronger engines, greater horizontal stabilization, higher weight and greater range. The 340B Plus offered active noise and vibration control.

Business Express flew 23 S-340As and 20 S-340Bs. The carrier was purchased by AMR Eagle Holding Corporation and became American Eagle on December 1, 2000, leaving half a dozen stops in Boston from Islip to transport the new carrier, even though it left itself unattended.

A smaller reflection of Business Express, CommutAir also provided Long Island-Boston service. Founded in 1989 and eventually served 19 Northeast 22 B1900D passengers, it sent three-week departures to Boston, calling for its eight flight balances in Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.

After serving as a US Airways Express and Continental connection operator, he delivered his Boston frequencies to Colgan Air.

Code sharing site feed service:

Although several airlines opened their Islip service as independent carriers, such as Ransome, Precision, Business Express and CommutAir, they ultimately followed two-letter code sharing agreements with major airlines from Delta Connection to Northwest Airlink. Some of this invention initially.

One of them was the Allegheny Commmuter Consortium. "USAir and Allegheny Commuter attend a great team," the carrier claimed in its advertising. "Serving over 120 cities in the US and Canada. The C500 has been approved by the Civil Aeronautics Commission for all C500 flights since 1999 (included in its system schedule). These flights include: Beech 99, Havilland Twin Otter, Havilland Dash 7, Nord 262, M-298, Shorts 330, CASA-212 and Swearingen Metro equipment. "

Ransome aside, he was a significant member of the Suburban Airlines consortium, initially using Shorts 330 and later using Shorts 360 aircraft.

Based on Skyvan from the early 1960s, the former may have incorporated some of its design elements. It has a rear-loading box section fuselage, a hard-edged, double-mounted wing, twin vertical rows and a fixed-wing circulation that can carry a maximum of 19 passengers or 4,000 pounds of cargo.

The 330-foot-long Shorts, meanwhile, retained Skyvan's outer wing panels, introduced a new mid section, replaced Garrett AiResearch of the previous five with five-blade PT6A-45 engines, adjustable landing gear, and three 30-seat openings. closed compartments to store the interior.

Launched after receiving government support from the UK, the initially named SD3-30 made its first on August 22, 1974 and ordered a customer order from Canada in Time and Time Air to launch the customer.

The 200 Series, 100, offered a gross weight of 22,900 pounds with 1.06 shp PT6A-45R power plants.

The Shorts 360, the latest development of the Skyvan and 330 lineage, had a three-foot front fuselage socket. His length increased from 58 to 70.6 feet. The stern section has a revised entry, with a single vertical tail, improved cruise performance and two rows of seats, increasing the capacity from 30 to 36.

The first fly on June 1, 1981, had a gross weight of 25,700 pounds and a cruising power of 243 mph at 10,000 feet. They were customers of Suburban Airlines Airport.

The ten-point route system included Allentown, Binghamton, Buffalo, Lancaster, Long Island, New London / Groton, Newark, New York-JFK, Philadelphia and Reading. Flight service included small-scale Cheddar cheese spreads, sandwiches, chips and a cart selection of beverages.

His November 1, 1985 schedule included five weekends to Boston and five to Philadelphia.

Although it was not the first major carrier partnership between Henson and Allegheny Commuter.

Richard A. Henson founded Henson Aviation, a fixed-base operator in Hagerstown, Maryland, the following year, heading to Washington for the "Hagerstown Commuter." Two letters later as the Allegheny Commuter carrier opened a two-letter code sharing service, featuring 15 passenger Beech 99s operas.

In Salisbury, Maryland, in 1968, it maintained a three-point route system, including Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, and deployed auxiliary cabin service to acquire Shorts 330 aircraft, following DHC-8-100s in Canada's Havilland. .

Similar to its predecessor DHC-7, but with two engines instead of four engines, the 37-passenger Dash 8 was a 1,800 shp PW120 engine and their extended births had to be withdrawn from the rear of the aircraft underneath. At 73 feet long and 84.11 feet wide, the center section was rectangular, but the outer sections were complex and dihedral, with a gross weight of 34,500 pounds and a speed of 310 mph.

Registered C-GDNK, it flew on the prototype form for the first time on June 20, 1983, and was delivered to the NorOntair customer on October 23 of the following year.

Prior to his DHC-8-100s, Henson claimed "Henson, the Piedmont Regional Airline," after agreeing with him on Piedmont, two daily B99s (flights 1710 and 1719) and three 330 shorts daily (1502, 1528 flights), eta 1539) Piamonteko Baltimore zentrotik, Charlottesville, Hagerstown, Newport News, Norfolk, Ocean City, Richmond, Roanoke, Salisbury, Shenandoah Valley eta Washington-National hirietarako konexioak ditu, 1984ko urtarrilaren 15eko ordutegiaren arabera.

Hegazkin nagusia lerrokatutako beste garraiolari garrantzitsu bat, bere nagusien balioan, bere bi letren kodea erabiliz, eta merkataritza-hitzarmen bateratua burutzea hub-gunearen helburuetarako, Atlantic Coast izan zen, United Express-en profila bereganatu zuena.

The agreement, concluded on December 15, 1989, ensured secondary city funneling into United's Chicago-O'Hare and Washington-Dulles hubs with several commuter aircraft-the Jetstream 31, the Jetstream 41, the DHC-8, and the EMB-120 among them. It was the latter type that it operated into Islip.

Building upon the foundation created by the EMB-110 Bandeirante, the EMB-120, a low-wing, circular-fuselage, t-tail design optimized for 30 three-abreast passengers, was hatched from Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica S. A.'s Sao Jose dos Campos facility in Sao Paulo. Powered by two 1,800-shp Pratt and Whitney Canada PW118 or -118A engines, it had a maximum, 298-knot speed and a 30,000-foot service ceiling.

Ideal for commuter sectors, it attracted considerable US sales, including 62 from ASA Atlantic Southeast Airlines, 40 from Comair, 70 from SkyWest, 35 from WestAir, and 34 from Texas Air.

Atlantic Coast's October 31, 1990 timetable stated, "The following carrier has a cooperative agreement with United, offering expanded destinations, coordinated schedules, and the same travel service featured on United. Applicable carrier and United flight range: Atlantic Coast/United Express: Flight numbers UA3570-UA3739."

Its four daily flights to Washington-Dulles departed at 0645, 1200, 1450, and 1800.

Although not offering much major carrier feed, another code share operator from Long Island MacArthur was Metro Air Northeast, which assumed the identify of TWExpress, dispatching five daily nonstops with Saab 340 aircraft at 0630, 0915, 1250, 1605, and 1825 to Albany with "7000" flight numbers. The first departure, for instance, was TW 7941.

Its December 1, 1990 timetable advertised, "The shortest distance between you and TWA" and "Your commuter connection to TWA."

Last Commuter Carrier Operation:

Change, the result of market conditions, was the only constant. But as fuel and operational costs increased, the number of daily commuter flights and the mostly northeast cities they served decreased. Consequently, as the airline players disappeared, so, too, did the passengers.

Like a ghost town of commuter operations whose only propeller sounds were those in the minds of the passengers who remembered them, Long Island MacArthur Airport became the stage for a final attempt at restoring them in the guise of Alaska-based PenAir.

Taking advantage of the FAA's Air Carrier Incentive Plan, which entailed reduced fees to entice new entrants to begin flights in underserved markets, it replaced the Boston service vacated by American Eagle in 2008 by inaugurating two daily Saab 340 departures, at 0840 and 1910, with one-way, $119 introductory fares, citing Islip a logical extension to its three-point route system of Bar Harbor, Presque Isle, and Plattsburgh. Yet logic did not always equal profitability and after a valiant year's effort, the carrier was left without choice but to discontinue the service due to low load factors.

After the multitude of commuter airlines had opened the passenger floodgates at Long Island MacArthur Airport during a more than five-decade period, PenAir closed them. At the dawn of 2020, there was not a single propeller providing scheduled service to be heard.